FIFA Discussion (Part 2)

News from the Pro Evolution / Winning Eleven gaming world, discussions from the posts on WinningElevenBlog.com and general PES & WE discussions

Re: FIFA Discussion (Part 2)

Postby Malcolm9 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Gameplay wise dear Vital, not visually. FIFA may have all the bells and whistles yet ends up playing a dull game of football.

By your logic I also hope you'll be trying PES 2018 rather than judging it by video footage as per your last paragraph about FIFA.
Malcolm9
First Team
First Team

Postby chilleverest » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Malcolm9 wrote:Gameplay wise dear Vital, not visually. FIFA may have all the bells and whistles yet ends up playing a dull game of football.

By your logic I also hope you'll be trying PES 2018 rather than judging it by video footage as per your last paragraph about FIFA.

Currently playing weekend league in fifa right now. and so far the only game ive lost is because of cheap goals and blatant deflections (playing against game more than my opponent). They make me want to quit the game. These are the thing that needs to be looked at in the next fifa, gameplay wise, it could have some more depth to it, but so far, as a game, it shines in almost every department.
Who ate all the pies?
Bring Seabass back.
chilleverest
International
International

Twitter: @chilleverest

Postby Malcolm9 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:31 pm

That always seems to be the case with FIFA, where you are sometimes playing against the "game" rather than your opponent, if they can change this it would be a lot more enjoyable.
Malcolm9
First Team
First Team

Postby bearwithit » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:49 pm

It may be dull but it's the better of the two games in terms of longetivity.

The fact you can tweak slider making it as difficult in certain areas as you like just trumps what PES gives you in terms of a challenge.

Both games are pretty bland though. I do prefer the FIFA beta over the PES one, it feels more fluid while PES felt broken.
Follow Follow
bearwithit
Youth Team
Youth Team

PSN: scottio19

Postby mynameisq » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:02 pm

Malcolm9 wrote:Gameplay wise dear Vital, not visually. FIFA may have all the bells and whistles yet ends up playing a dull game of football.

Gameplay wise Pes is better, however it's not better at every aspect of gameplay. Shooting and goalkeepers for example are so much better than Pes it's unreal. Main thing I hate about Fifa minus the deflections and script etc is the reliance on skill moves to beat players, they really need to tone that down or it will always be an arcadefest with skill combos
mynameisq
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Malcolm9 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:06 pm

bearwithit wrote:It may be dull but it's the better of the two games in terms of longetivity.

The fact you can tweak slider making it as difficult in certain areas as you like just trumps what PES gives you in terms of a challenge.

Both games are pretty bland though. I do prefer the FIFA beta over the PES one, it feels more fluid while PES felt broken.

The main pull of FIFA is the online aspect, sliders mean nothing when playing online. Sliders don't suddenly make it a better game either unfortunately.
Malcolm9
First Team
First Team

Postby Woutoro32 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:23 pm

I seriously hate the gamers who do trick after trick after trick and then score.
I'm more about the teamplay and with FIFA I can do that. With Pes I can do that also, but shooting and goalkeepers make me choose FIFA over Pes.

I hate to say that because I am a longtime Pes fan....

FIFA 18 looks a lot like 17 but I can see the tweaks. I hope they can slow the speed of the game a bit down.

And for online... you just have to find players who also play football, so it doesn't turn into a trickfest.

Many of the goal of the year contenders do a lot of tricks before they score so lame. They won't get a vote from me.
Woutoro32

Postby ParadoX » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Woutoro32 wrote:I seriously hate the gamers who do trick after trick after trick and then score.
I'm more about the teamplay and with FIFA I can do that. With Pes I can do that also, but shooting and goalkeepers make me choose FIFA over Pes.

I hate to say that because I am a longtime Pes fan....

FIFA 18 looks a lot like 17 but I can see the tweaks. I hope they can slow the speed of the game a bit down.

And for online... you just have to find players who also play football, so it doesn't turn into a trickfest.

Many of the goal of the year contenders do a lot of tricks before they score so lame. They won't get a vote from me.

the speed of the game needs to be increase, not to mention they need to make passing the ball faster. Next week the beta will have one update about 10 gb. some things will be added.
ParadoX

Postby ParadoX » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:47 pm

ParadoX

Postby vital » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:38 pm

ParadoX wrote:some new goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9v0dhvu87g

Good example of the increased momentum at 1:06
vital
Pundit
Pundit

Postby Malcolm9 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:18 am

I don't find any of the goals impressive to be honest, finesse shots still look too easy to score from.

The shots look nice due to the animations as always, but I find the goal variety lacking in FIFA overall, the sweet spots are still guaranteed more often than not.
Malcolm9
First Team
First Team

Postby vital » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:33 am

Malcolm9 wrote:I don't find any of the goals impressive to be honest, finesse shots still look too easy to score from.

The shots look nice due to the animations as always, but I find the goal variety lacking in FIFA overall, the sweet spots are still guaranteed more often than not.

Curious. I'm not actually sure how any football fan could fail to be impressed by the animations/physics on some of those goals, like the way the ball maintains the existing spin on the ball as it redirects towards goal on the Lukaku header, it's quite phenomenal when you think about where we've come from to be honest. Of course animations/physics are not the be all and end all, but from a tech perspective it is impressive beyond any shadow of a doubt.

There is only one finesse shot in the video and it looked very realistic. It's kind of odd to call a placed finish into the top corner a sweet spot, I mean that just reflects reality (see Ronaldo's "finesse shot" last night against Barca). There might be too much assistance still, but definitely not the case on semi shooting, which is what I'd like to see in PES (half-way between manual and assisted).
vital
Pundit
Pundit

Postby Malcolm9 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:22 am

vital wrote:
Malcolm9 wrote:I don't find any of the goals impressive to be honest, finesse shots still look too easy to score from.

Curious. I'm not actually sure how any football fan could fail to be impressed by the animations/physics on some of those goals, like the way the ball maintains the existing spin on the ball as it redirects towards goal on the Lukaku header, it's quite phenomenal when you think about where we've come from to be honest. Of course animations/physics are not the be all and end all, but from a tech perspective it is impressive beyond any shadow of a doubt.

There is only one finesse shot in the video and it looked very realistic. It's kind of odd to call a placed finish into the top corner a sweet spot, I mean that just reflects reality (see Ronaldo's "finesse shot" last night against Barca). There might be too much assistance still, but definitely not the case on semi shooting, which is what I'd like to see in PES (half-way between manual and assisted).

I'd love PES to have semi style shooting, I think FIFA has those options spot on. As for the shot types and variation, they definitely impress on FIFA, more so during the slow motion replays where the player adjust their body to attack or caress the ball. Even with all that I don't find the goal variety that great, it's hard to explain it but you never feel like you can score any type of goal. I think the player models looking a bit lifeless doesn't help bring across the emotion of scoring either.

When it comes to online the game tends to veer towards a lot of cheap goals as well, rather than making the matches feel more tactical. I put that down to the momentum swing in games, which for the better didn't effect the games in the online PES 2018 beta. I'm hoping EA bring that logic where it's down to you and how you play, making the user feel in complete control.
Malcolm9
First Team
First Team

Postby Pesmunki » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Rach08 wrote:I literally can't believe the comments here!

Fifa looks absolutely brutal lol

Have any of you actually even played real life football before?

Great presentation? The players still look like they've walked of a set of the walking dead. Same goes with the crowd. Put a load of walking dead zombies in there and it will look no different.

Fifa is like having a relationship with one of those so called real life looking sex dolls. All the bells and whistles and yet no substance whatsoever. Its so bad its unreal!

This is THE best line I've read on this Forum. Period!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pesmunki
First Team
First Team

PSN: cogs67

Postby Ameobinho » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Fifa sweet spots have been there since the first sega mega drive version :mrgreen:
Ameobinho
Mascot
Mascot

Postby Nik778899 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:59 pm

Ameobinho wrote:

Fifa sweet spots have been there since the first sega mega drive version :mrgreen:

I remember a friend of mine used to know of one right from kick off, probably FIFA 06/07 time, used to win every game 31-0 and happily played season after season. Not for me.
Nik778899
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Postby chilleverest » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Presentation, this is what it should be. Blows fifa or any other sports game's presentation out of water.

Who ate all the pies?
Bring Seabass back.
chilleverest
International
International

Postby dove » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:26 pm

chilleverest wrote:Presentation, this is what it should be. Blows fifa or any other sports game's presentation out of water.

It's a trailer. Have I missed something?
KONAMI <3
dove
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby chilleverest » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:41 pm

dove wrote:
chilleverest wrote:Presentation, this is what it should be. Blows fifa or any other sports game's presentation out of water.

It's a trailer. Have I missed something?

Not really.
Who ate all the pies?
Bring Seabass back.
chilleverest
International
International

Postby Frankfurter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:07 pm

...been watching a few FIFA18 beta videos and impressions.
Most say FIFA is better than PES in presantation, crowd, sound, shooting, GKs. BUT i spend about 90% of a 10min Footballgame in different areas, mostly gameplay.

Gameplay is the key for me, nobody says something about non player movement.
If both sides play 442 and have the same jersey colour, it would look like mirrored.

The problem i have with FIFA is the lack of movement of the AI Players, the result is....over and over same attacking moves. I play the ball backwords to rebuild, finding myself at the same spot i left few minutes ago.
I can unterstand, if you only been watching Football on tele or playing on a schoolyard, FIFA feels great for you.
I have a deeper sense of playing Football. I love to build up a game find suddenly opening areas and do the unexpected thing to catch the Opponent on the wrong foot. this wan't possible in FIFA14 - 15 -16 -17.
It isn't perfect at PES either, but far better than at FIFA and with PES18 i never fellt that freedom before.

btw: am I blind? Fifa looks great until the players enter the Pitch. The animations look terrible to me. must be taste.
Frankfurter

PreviousNext

Return to PES & WE News / Discussion